REVIEW SUMMARIES FOR KLING LECTURES:
The Flow of Energy:
Higher Trophic Levels
Take home message:
Ecological efficiency will get us in the end.
Assimilation, ingestion, and excretion
Homeotherm vs. poikilotherms
Assimilation efficiency vs. net production efficiency vs. ecological efficiency
Pyramids of biomass, energy, and numbers
· What is the fate of NPP?; What can you conclude about the fate of NPP in our world?
· What are the “rules” for energy transfer in trophic levels.
· Understand the principles behind calculating assimilation, net production, and ecological efficiency.
· What are the relationships among these different efficiencies, and what do each of them actually mean?
· Understand how pyramids of biomass, energy, and numbers are constructed, and the typical shapes of these pyramids.
· Know or be able to calculate the relative residence time of energy for various ecosystems; what does the residence time mean or indicate in this example?
· Have a general understanding of how much energy humans consume; the notes present three scenarios estimating human appropriation of the world’s NPP (focus on how the highest, and most realistic, estimate is calculated and what terms go into the calculation).
· What processes control ecosystem function? (Top down versus bottom up)